10 Phrases to Describe Offending or Upsetting People
1. They got off on the wrong foot.
(= when they first met, they didn’t get along)
2. He got on the teacher’s bad side.
3. She took offense at his comment.
4. He has a chip on his shoulder.
(= he is easily offended)
5. She got bent out of shape.
6. He left in a huff.
7. She got her panties in a wad.
8. He has a short fuse.
(= he gets angry easily)
9. She dissed my mother.
(= she insulted/disrespected my mother)
10. He got his nose out of joint.
#5, #7, #10 all mean the person got irritated/annoyed